metro storage tips & Hints
PREPARING FOR STORAGE
- When packing boxes place heavier items on the bottom, lighter on the top.
- Store similar items together.
- Label your boxes and mark boxes with delicate items as ‘Fragile’.
Furniture and Paintings
- Disassemble furniture/bedding, pack and label bolts and nuts separately from the main item.
- Place furniture/mattress covers to protect your valued goods.
- Paintings can be stored in picture cartons or wrapped in cardboard for protection.
- All white goods need to be clean and dry before storing.
- Leave your white goods empty to avoid scratches inside or any other damage.
- Pack metal items away from goods that may be stained such as furniture.
- Wrapping silver in non acid tissue paper or plastic bags can help reduce tarnishing.
Glass and Breakables
- Wrap all fragile items separately in packing paper, box and ensure they are marked accordingly.
- Place plates and bowls vertically on their sides to prevent breakage.
MOVING INTO A STORAGE UNIT
- If you are planning to access all your items frequently - create a central aisle down the centre of your storage unit.
- If you are not planning to access your storage unit often, utilise as much floor space as possible by starting right at the back of your storage unit.
Utilise All Space
- Pack all the way to the top of your unit and/or use plywood over several boxes to create stable layers.
- Bigger items such as mattresses, lounges should be placed on their sides along the storage unit walls.
- Stock heavy items at the bottom and lighter items at the top.
- Laying a tarp or plastic sheeting down before you pack your unit will help avoid condensation damage.
- Leave a small gap between the walls of your unit to allow for air flow. This helps to prevent moisture and heat damage.
- Leave fridge, washing machine or freezer’s door slightly ajar to prevent mould build up.